Succeed with the good governance guide; a toolkit for your site, intranet, and digital workplace
Mark Morrell’s first book is a practical, experience-based approach to growing and managing a successful intranet. Based on Mark’s many years of experience as the manager of an award winning intranet and his recent work with dozens of organisations, ‘Digital success or digital disaster?’ will help you:
- develop and get buy-in for your intranet strategy
- choose a governance model suited to your goals and culture
- establish a governance framework
- initiate publishing standards for contributors of every competency.
This book will help you show good governance has measurable benefits, justifying future investment in your intranet.
What success looks like
Success is having a clear strategy for the intranet aligned with the organisation’s strategy, supported by a strong governance framework, with measured outcomes. Governance is the foundation of a well-managed intranet. Good governance mitigates risks; great governance empowers people and business results.
“Online governance broadly refers to the mechanisms, processes, roles and responsibilities by which intranets are managed and directed.” ~ Mark Morrell
Every theory is based on experience, and Mark provides a great number of practical examples, strategic guidance, and quick tips to help you plan a new intranet or turnaround an unloved one. You can have an intranet to be proud of and you can streamline your organisations’ ways of working in-line with your leaders’ goals and your colleagues’ needs. This book lays out how you can create or revamp your intranet strategy and governance to better meet the needs of your organisation.
A handbook for intranet leaders
How do you include ‘everyone’ in your plans without derailing your progress? How do you make decisions that respect different needs and ways of working? How do you lead the intranet as well as manage it? Download for free: Chapter 1 – Introduction to good governance [PDF; 60KB]
- Introduction to good governance …and other cures for digital disasters
- Developing your strategy – Schmooze it or lose it: Getting buy-in to build the right strategy
- Governance principles – Standoffs, lawsuits, and sinister underwebs: Seven steps to effectively mining your resources
- Governance framework – Types, Models, Apps, and Hybrids. Making the right moves in this brave new world
- Governance hierarchy – Steering groups or grouping steers? Navigating the hierarchy maze
- Publishing standards – The joy of specs. Legal, regulatory, and practical roads to publishing standards
- Building on the benefits of good governance
About the author
Mark Morrell has many years of first-hand experience as the manager of an award-winning intranet, and Mark has helped dozens of organisations develop their intranet governance in recent years. Read more about Mark Morrell. Follow Mark on Twitter and Google+. To request further details about the ‘Digital success’ book, or to enquire about Mark’s speaking availability, please email email@example.com